Skip to main content

touch starved

 I am incredibly touch starved.

I have always known that my love language is physical contact, without ever having to take a Buzzfeed quiz to find out. I've known since I was five years old and I would crawl into my parents bed every morning, asking them to cuddle with me. Since I was 10 and realized that my favorite thing was to have my grandfather stroke my back with a piece of straw. Since I was 13 and only needed my mother to brush my hair to calm me down when I was angry.

I love hugs, great big bear hugs that knock the air out of you for a second. I always want a hug, no matter what mood I'm in. My parents have worried for me since I was a child, that one day, I was going to hug the wrong stranger and get kidnapped. I like to think I give wonderful hugs, the kind that let you know I am just overjoyed to see you. Real hugs, not a small squeeze with one arm. 

I want to hold hands or link arms or knock my hip against yours. I want to cuddle, with anyone, just the two of us curled up under a blanket, our arms and legs knotted together. 

But-

We are in the middle of a global pandemic. One that requires to wear masks and stay six feet apart from each other. One that allows no hugs, no holding of hands, no linking of arms. One that doesn't allow me to touch anyone. I haven't received a hug from anyone but my family since last March. 

And I am so touch starved. I miss being able to meet someone new and shake their hand. I miss seeing an old friend and hugging them in greeting.

I've never been one to have lots and lots of friends. I've always enjoyed being by myself with my books and my art.

But, God. This is the loneliest I've ever felt. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

to be interesting

 I have never been good at keeping a diary because I always have convinced myself that I had nothing particularly interesting to say. And that is always what I've wanted more than anything, was to be interesting, if not extraordinarily interesting. I want to slay a dragon or save a princess. I want to solve a murder or have a secret love affair, or at least live in a castle and wear ball gowns to tea. But, unfortunately, I was born on a planet with no dragons, past the age of princesses, swept into the monotonous life of eat, school, sleep, repeat. I am left only with the the option of living vicariously through the absurd amount of books I read to get my fill of wonder and scandal.  I have also never had many friends, one or two at a time, never enough to have a group, never enough to belong somewhere. I listen to music as often as I can to stave away my hunger, my yearning for something more. I envy the people who can get through high school, and then college, and then a desk job